Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Opinions wanted....

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Opinions wanted....

    I am shopping for a new amp to drive four 846B Valencias.

    I prefer an integrated amp.
    The local McIntosh dealer offered me a great deal on a floor model MA7000. The PROBLEM here is he also offered me the same deal on an MA2275.
    I can have either amp for the same price.

    Please talk to me guys. Which one would you choose and why.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Opinions wanted....

    Interesting that they don't give an output impedance rating on the 2275.

    I can only offer opinion, based on my listening preferences i'd go with the hefty(high power) solid state unit.

    Even tho i'm very fond of the 6550 output tube, i have a subconscious aversion to new production tube gear, it kept me from buying a C2200 even tho it sounds fabulous.

    Just my .02
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Opinions wanted....

    Given McIntosh's exceptional reputation for building high quality gear I wouldn't hesitate in buying anything new from them. Keep in mind I haven't really kept up with McIntosh's quality since they were bought out by Clarion some 15+ years ago.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Nipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2009
    Posts
    280
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Opinions wanted....

    Im not to concerned about the quality of McIntosh.

    Just when I decided to go for it the guy throws something like this at me. Thats a tough choice!

    Its probably not possible to take both of them home to demo but I am about ready to ask.
    My Altecs seem to be happier with low powered amps which would make me think the tube model would be best. Then everyone tells me tubes are a PITA.

    How many watts are you guys running with your Altecs?

    Accuphase makes some wonderful low watt integrated amps but no one around here sells them.

    I need to hear something before I lay down this much $$$ its a LOT for me.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Opinions wanted....

    My Model-15's are the front left and right speakers of my home theatre system. I'm running a mear 35 watts....and that's MORE then enough. Room size is 18x30.


    I do think the high efficieny Altecs sound better with lower powered amps. I saw a nice difference in my NAD home-theatre receiver over my previous Crown PL-4 amp. The Crown amp was EXCELLENT, but the Altecs seem to sound sweeter with the NAD.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: Opinions wanted....

    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    Im not to concerned about the quality of McIntosh.
    The old MCINTOSH USED HIGH CAPACITANCE FILTERS 12000 MF . I wonder what the new output stage use`s these days.

    ....................

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member drummerwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    138
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Opinions wanted....

    Try a DHTSET Stereo tube amp or if you really like deep bass a DHTPP Stereo tube amp. All
    you really need is about 5 or 6 watts per channel.

    Have fun!
    Willie
    "And the beat goes on"<br /> Willie

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Lightbulb Re: Opinions wanted....

    The Mcintosh power supply capacitance has remained around the same 22000MFD except that they are smaller and mounted in parallel.The old McIntosh used one 22K MFD 3 " in diameter X 6" high.

    ...................................

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Mike Gibson's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2005
    Posts
    151
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Opinions wanted....

    I have Valencias and ran with a Mac 2505 for 30+ years until I bi-amped them and put a mc275 on the highs and a mc2205 on the lows. More than enough power but I like the sound. To me the electronic crossover made a huge difference in sound. Of course to each his own.
    Life is too short to be taken Cirrus.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Opinions wanted....

    ...DHTSET Stereo tube amp or if you really like deep bass a DHTPP Stereo tube amp.
    What are the acronyms above?
    SET = single ended triode
    DHT = digital home theatre?
    pp= point to point or 'power pentode' ?

    cheers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.